Monday, April 8, 2013

kid craft - making messes

 We go through a fair amount of food colouring in this house.  We make coloured ice, have coloured baths, the occasional cake/biscuit and icing mess, rainbow playdough and most recently, this cornflour/water/food colouring 'paint'.  I didn't use any measurements, it's just a rough mix of cornflour and a good splosh of colour and some water.


 I often give Isla cloth nappies to use with her ice stars, and have discovered that the colour washes out completely.  So they made the perfect canvas for our 'paint'.  She could have her pictures for a day or two, and then they were all washed up, good as new.


 I had a little fun painting with her too.  And eventually, as with most preschool activities, it all descended into tipping and pouring eventually.  An easy clean up with the hose, and we were happy all round.  Give it a go!


8 comments:

A little bit Country said...

Love the idea of using cloth nappies. I have a pile of them and they come in handy for all sorts. Do you have any recommendations for crafty things to have on hand. Wanting to fill up our craft box now that winter is approaching xo

Mumma Bear said...

AWESOME IDEA! I have a stack of cloth nappies I've been meaning to upcycle!

dear olive said...

What a terrific idea! Kellie xx

Rhiannon said...

Very cool idea! Will have to see if I can find some cloth naps at the op shop - I got rid of ours before the move. What a dork!

Ninotchka McKay said...

Oh I love her pictures - have you ever been tempted to do this kind of art with something a bit more permenant? - would make an amazing scarf or bag or panel in a dress. I know what you mean though - its always ends up being about the tactile experience of 'the product' - rather than the application. All good!

tales from a handmade home said...

Fantastic idea, I'll have to remember this one when the littlies come visiting.

Lovely blog, I'm following on bloglovin.
Kim

BigLittle said...

What a great idea! We will have to try this out, I'm sure our little girl would LOVE to paint on cloth :) Thanks for sharing, Lisa x

Sophie Slim said...

Love this, it looks so beautiful after its bled into the cloth a little - especially your cute red and oranges :)